Corporate Drive – Skid Avoidance Defensive Driving Course
Tasked with reducing the cost of fleet vehicle insurance, feet vehicle repair costs, and other expenses?
Concerned that your current vehicle driving safety courses don’t address all of your training needs?
Searching for hands-on driver training that’s as close to real-life as possible?
The Corporate Drive – Skid Avoidance Defensive Driving Course provides advanced defensive driver training that’s ideally suited for drivers in the commercial or public safety sectors:
- Corporate fleets (cars, trucks, commuter vans)
- Construction fleets (concrete trucks, dump trucks)
- Commercial fleets (delivery vans, box/straight trucks, cabs)
- Municipal fleets (garbage trucks, public buses, school buses)
- Public safety fleets (police cars/trucks/SUVs, fire trucks, ambulances)
The four-hour training combines experienced coaching with the hands-on experience behind the wheel of the SkidCar™ vehicle. With the innovative technology of the SkidCar, we can simulate hazardous driving conditions such as slippery roads and hydroplaning.
By repeating the skid experience at very slow speeds, drivers learn how to react to a skid in a completely safe environment. Even better, drivers learn to recognize the signs that indicate an out of control situation and can prevent skids and accidents in the first place.
What to Expect from the Corporate Drive Skid Avoidance Defensive Driving Course
After going over some brief classroom material, you and the other training participants get to experience how a slippery road or other dangerous condition “feels” while driving.
While working with drivers behind the wheel, we use the SkidCar to simulate a skid – but at a very slow speed of about 5 – 10 mph. As drivers gain more skills and confidence, the driving coach can gradually increase the vehicle speed.
Some of the exercises included in the family drive course include:
- Accident avoidance
- Basic and critical breaking
- Defensive driving
- Driving effectively with ABS (anti-lock braking system), ESC (electronic stability control), and other current drive control aids
- Low-speed and high-speed dynamics
- Maneuvering and critical braking
- Objective distracted driver exercises
- Optical targeting
- Skid avoidance
- Skid control and recovery
- Stable platform concepts
- Use of sight exercises
- … and more!
What You’ll Get Out of the Corporate Drive Skid Avoidance Defensive Driving Course
You may already know this, but by taking this four-hour, engaging and interactive course, you can likely qualify to receive a lower vehicle insurance rate for your fleet. This could mean hundreds or thousands of dollars that stay in your budget.
Besides the potential cost savings, you’ll likely experience some or all of these other benefits by reducing vehicle accidents:
- Reduced number of vehicle repairs
- Fewer employee and civilian injuries
- Cost savings from less vehicle wear and tear
- Less employee time off in recuperating from vehicle crashes
- Reduced legal and liability costs
- Increased employee comfort and confidence behind the wheel
Most importantly, you will be doing everything possible to save more lives.
A Special Note for Public Safety Drivers
Based on statistics from 1993 – 2015, the accident rates for police, fire, and EMS drivers were about 2.5 to 4.8 times higher than the national average of all occupations. (Source: Preventing Emergency Vehicle Crashes: Status and Challenges of Human Factors Issues)
It’s one of our most important goals here at First Gear Driving Academy to do our part to reduce the number of vehicle crashes for first responders like police officers, firefighters, and paramedics. Our founder and president served as an EMT for 12 years, and he understands very well the stresses and pressure that emergency response drivers experience.
Our Skid Avoidance Defensive Driving Course provides a hands-on, practical approach to safe driving. This one-on-one coaching behind the week is an experience that is difficult if not impossible for an EMS agency to duplicate internally.